Outstanding Teacher Programme (OTP) The dates for the Spring term programme are:
|Friday 5th June (1-4pm) Friday 26th June (9.30 - 4pm)||Thursday 11th June (9.30 - 4pm) Friday 19th June (1 - 4pm)||Monday 29thJune (1 - 4pm) Friday 3rd July (1 - 4pm)|
Designed and facilitated by experienced school leaders and teachers, and established by the National College, the Outstanding Teacher Programme gives good teachers a set of skills and strategies that enable them to become consistently and sustainably outstanding It helps them to:
• Demonstrate a higher level understanding of teaching and improve learning for pupils.
• Coach colleagues in their own school and in other schools to raise their performance.
• Increase their job satisfaction and create opportunities for further career progression.
• Create a proactive school culture where the quality of teaching and learning is observed, discussed and enhanced.
• Increase their job satisfaction and create opportunities for further career progression. Valentines High School will be offering the OTP in the Summer term 2015. This programme:
• Provides in-depth coaching to deepen teachers’ understanding of outstanding classroom practice. Participants improve through facilitated practice and structured opportunities to reflect on teaching approaches and their quality and impact.
• Introduces new knowledge and skills and focuses on what makes teaching outstanding.
• Requires learning triads to prepare and present at an outstanding level to the whole programme group for evaluation.
• Forms part of the schools’ professional development provision and supports the implementation of national agendas.
• Provides strong input on the standards for excellence for advanced skills teachers (AST) and AST assessment, as well as other lead practitioner roles. This programme is open to teachers with the potential to consistently deliver outstanding lessons. Applicants need to demonstrate:
• Strong commitment to teaching and learning and show that they are inspiring individuals with strong interpersonal skills who are role models for pupils.
• At least three years teaching experience and value added data showing student progress and improving exam results.
• External recognition (e.g. Threshold, Ofsted) that indicates that they have the ability to become outstanding teachers.
• A commitment to professional development and the ability to reflect their practice, including using student feedback to evaluate their teaching.
What does the OTP consist of? The programme consists of one full day and seven half-day facilitated sessions over an eleven week period. Secondary schools need to release three teachers for the programme as coaching takes place in triads; PRUs, primary and special schools may release one teacher as members of the primary triads can come from cluster schools.
Dates and times: The majority of sessions will take place on Fridays between 1pm and 4pm in the Training Room at Valentines High School, Gants Hill, Ilford. There will be one full day session plus two coaching sessions at Valentines. In addition two sessions of in-school practice where participants try out the strategies developed will be based in their own schools. The programme covers key issues and strategies: the nature of outstanding teaching, questioning, assessment and differentiation. The final session will include certification of participants as “Outstanding Teachers”.
Costs: The cost per participant is £75 per taught half day session, a total for the course of £675 per participant. Attendance at all sessions is required for completion of the course and award of certification. There is a potential fee reduction for Primary Schools who send more than one delegate.
Information and booking: If you would like further information or a booking form please contact Gayna Bedwell (Teaching School Administrator) at email@example.com or by calling 0208 554 3608. Please note that the maximum number of participants on the course at any time is 15, so we anticipate that spaces will fill up quickly.