6th Form Community
The sixth form study skills day held in October 2014 was focussed around the following key study areas:
1. Improving your memory (three key memory techniques)
2. Planning ahead & making notes (using frameworks for successful note-taking)
3. Personal planning and organising your time (how to keep a Learning Log)
4. Researching and writing assignments (where to go for credible research)
5. Effectively reviewing work on a regular basis (end of topic reviews)
6. Adapting to sixth form life (dealing with the transition)
7. Establishing current capabilities (developing a growth mindset)
These areas are vital for students to be successful in their studies and help them on their journey into Key Stage 5. The day involved separate sessions in each of these key areas led by Outstanding Valentines teachers. During these sessions, students applied these study skills to their own studies and had the opportunity to reflect on what they currently do. In the afternoon, the students experienced an aspirations assembly before returning to create a personalised action plan based on what they had learnt during the day.
These key study areas are included in the Perspectives lessons that students have every Friday and will also be a key focus within mentoring meetings that happen during the academic year.